Autumn you can eat
I made the following recipe recently (from Cooking Light of course) and even my husband liked it what with his apprehension towards squash. I used chicken for the croquettes because I didn't have turkey and it was just as good. For some European readers, who can't find a translation (I couldnt') for butternut squash here is a picture.
Roasted Squash Soup with Turkey Croquettes
2 lbs butternut squash, kabocha squash or pumpkin
1 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
3 garlic cloves
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups leftover cooked turkey, finely chopped
1 3/4 cups breadcrumbs, divided
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsps chopped sage (replace with dried if you don't have fresh available)
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 egg white
2 1/2 tbsps oil, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. To prepare soup, cut squash in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membrane. Place squash, cut-sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with honey, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender; cool. Scoop out squash with a spoon, discard skin.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; saute 10 minutes until tender. Remove 3/4 cup vegetables, set aside. Add broth to pan, cook over medium heat 12 minutes. Stir in squash. Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes. Place soup in food processor; process until smooth. Add 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper, set aside.
4. To prepare croquettes, combine reserved vegetables, turkey, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and next 6 ingredients (1/4 cup crumbs through egg white). Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. Shape into 12 (1-inch-thick) patties, press 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs onto patties.
5. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 6 patties to pan, cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove croquettes from pan, keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.
6. Reheat soup. Divide evenly among 6 bowls, top with croquettes. Garnish with freshsage leaves, if desired. Yield: 4 servings.